Highlights & Topics
1. Fundamentals of crystallization science: thermodynamics, solubility and kinetics of crystallization, solution structure, nucleation, crystal growth, influence of impurities, agglomeration and breakage of crystals;
2. Characterization techniques of crystals and suspensions : rheology , crystal aggregation, small-angle X-ray scattering, Raman spectroscopy, image analysis tools, particle size analysis;
3. Process design, scale up, down stream processing, modelling, (multi-dimensional) population balances, monitoring techniques ; optimization and control of crystallization and precipitation processes; process analytical technologies, process control tools;
4. Product engineering : crystalline nano/micro-particles, polymorphs, co-crystals, solvates, chiral resolution;, molecular modelling, macromolecules, laser crystal growth, composites, biominerals;
5. Industrial challenges: crystallization in novel solvents, using multicomponent mixtures; spherical crystallization, melt crystallization, intensified crystallization using external fields or hybrid processes; crystallization fouling ; crystallization processes for sustainability ; novel crystallization equipment.